|Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)?
What constitutes potentially hazardous under-inflation? When the tire pressure monitoring system identifies one or more tires with a loss of 25 percent or more below the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended specification, this tire can no longer operate safely; a warning light will illuminate to alert the driver to this dangerous condition.
There are already approximately 15 million vehicles on the road with TPMS and this number is rapidly growing. TPMS presents the market with a new category of replacement parts and Standard provides you with a comprehensive line of TPMS sensors, TPMS kits and accessories to meet the growing sales and service opportunities.
What Causes a TPMS Sensor to Fail?
Sensors fail primarily due to battery failure or improper service procedures. Initially there will be a learning curve for installing and checking the TPMS system, but most service technicians will quickly learn how to identify and service the system efficiently.
- Sensor batteries can become discharged and fail – the internal lithium battery is not serviceable, and it has a life expectancy of approximately 3-10 years.
- Installing the incorrect valve core will cause failure – TPMS sensors require a special nickel-plated valve core instead of the regular copper or brass valve core
- Normal tire changing procedures can damage a TPMS sensor – this includes flat repairs, new tire replacement, snow tire change or a wheel upgrade
- Pulling a typical looking rubber valve stem out of the wheel will lead to a broken sensor. TPMS systems now use either metal or rubber valves
- Over tightening a new sensor valve will result in a broken sensor
- Typical road hazards - collisions, potholes, curbs - can damage the TPMS system
- TPMS sensors contain delicate electronics that are subject to failure over time
There’s No Need to Go Back to the Dealer…BWD’s Got You Covered!
Visit our Resource Library for available downloads
A complete line of TPMS replacement parts including pressure sensors, mounting hardware and valve stem kits.
Installers, we provide complete marketing support to help you gain your TPMS market share.
Back to TPMS